NOTE: This post has been edited to reflect the most recent details regarding the #BTSM tweet chat.
The “Brain Tumor Social Media” Twitter community successfully organized its first “tweet chat” in 2013. The chat was so successful that Cure Today’s Elizabeth Whittington wrote about it just a few days later on their blog.
The #BTSM group will continue convening through the tweet chat format each Sunday from now until Twitter no longer exists. Join us!
Date: First Sunday of each month
Time: 6 p.m. Pacific / 9 p.m. Eastern
Disclaimer: From time to time the chat may coincide with national holiday or other important event. Follow @BTSMchat on Twitter to find out if the chat will be rescheduled.
An important thing to remember is that #BTSM is a patient-run Twitter community and is not owned by any organization, nonprofit or otherwise. We are for patients, by patients. #BTSM tweet chat moderator @CBlotner_ is working on organizing guest tweeters from the brain tumor community, like physicians, researchers and advocates.
Just in case you don’t use Twitter, or do use Twitter and have never participated in a tweet chat, here’s how you can participate:
How to take part in the #btsm tweet chat
- Register for a Twitter account. Scared of Twitter? Hey–if you have a Facebook account, you can find your way around Twitter.
- Stay logged in to Twitter… then visit TChat.io
- In the box in the middile of the TChat home page there is an area to enter a “hashtag.” (Find out what a hashtag is.) The brain tumor social media hashtag is #BTSM. Then click “Start Chatting.”
- The #BTSM tweet chat page will load and you will see all tweets where a Twitter user used that #BTSM hashtag.
- The page will automatically refresh itself every few seconds to load more tweets.
- When you are ready to take part in the tweet chat you must click the “Sign in” button in the upper-right corner of the TChat.io page. TChat will then want to link your Twitter account to the TChat website. This is safe to do! Click “Authorize app.”
- Once you are logged in there will be a box at the top of the page where you can enter your message (tweet). This box will automatically add the #BTSM hashtag for you.
Easy, right? (I know some of you are shaking your fists at me right now.)